2016年11月18日 星期五

Semblance: Screens

Edit Posted by
A moth2 lies open and lies
 like an old bleached3 beech4 leaf,
 a lean-to between window frame and sill.
 Its death protects a collection of tinier deaths
 and other dirts beneath.
 Although the white paint is water-stained,
 on it death is dirt, and hapless.

The just-severed tiger lily
 is drinking its glass of water, I hope.
 This hope is sere5.
 This hope is severe.
 What you ruin ruins you, too
 and so you hope for favor.
 I mean I do.

The underside of a ladybug
 wanders the window. I wander
 the continent, my under-carriage not as evident,
 so go more perilously7, it seems to me.
 But I am only me; to you it seems clear
 I mean to disappear, and am mean
 and project on you my fear.

If I were a bug6, I hope I wouldn't be
 this giant winged thing, spindly like a crane fly,
 skinny-legged like me, kissing the cold ceiling,
 fumbling for the face of the other, seeking.
 It came in with me last night when I turned on the light.
 I lay awake, afraid it would touch my face.
 It wants out. I want out, too.

I thought you a way through.
 Arms wide for wings,
 your suffering mine, twinned.
 Screen. Your unbelief drives me in,
 doubt for dirt, white sheet for sill --
 You don't stay other enough or still
 enough to be likened to.