2016年11月27日 星期日

Baby-sitting

Edit Posted by
I am sitting in a strange room listening
 For the wrong baby. I don't love
 This baby. She is sleeping a snuffly
 Roseate, bubbling sleep; she is fair;
 She is a perfectly1 acceptable child.
 I am afraid of her. If she wakes
 She will hate me. She will shout
 Her hot midnight rage, her nose
 Will stream disgustingly and the perfume
 Of her breath will fail to enchant2 me.

To her I will represent absolute
 Abandonment. For her it will be worse
 Than for the lover cold in lonely
 Sheets; worse than for the woman who waits
 A moment to collect her dignity
 Beside the bleached3 bone in the terminal ward4.
 As she rises sobbing5 from the monstrous6 land
 Stretching for milk-familiar comforting,
 She will find me and between us two
 It will not come. It will not come.